|Posted on January 4, 2021 at 6:10 PM|
We are hiring a full-time or part-time Bilingual (English and Spanish) Legal Assistant. This position requires someone who cares for the community we serve, has good attention to detail, and excellent organizational skills. Criminal law and immigration law experience is required. Excellent telephone skills are required. Most of our clients are immigrants and speak Spanish. Must be bilingual in English and Spanish.
MISSION OF THE JOB
Take ownership of cases, provide exceptional customer service, and prepare quality work product.
Within the 6 months on the job:
• Adhere to firm mission and culture
• Be able to prepare quality filings with as much accuracy as possible and minimal supervision for attorney review.
• Collect client information diligently, strategically, and independently.
• Draft forms, cover letters, declarations, and packets accurately with minimal supervision for attorney review.
• Maintain communication with clients and provide case updates promptly
• Manage attorney schedule efficiently (attorney-client meetings, court appearances, etc.)
• Prepare pleading and motion for family court
• Draft discovery requests and responses
• Process criminal cases for trial preparation including legal documents, data entry, and correspondence.
• Complete a daily court calendar, obtains jury panels, and issues discovery to defense attorneys.
• Request criminal history documentation including national, state, and local criminal histories, booking photos, arrest records, juvenile criminal histories, and Bureau of Motor Vehicle records.
• Schedule appointments for attorney to meet with deputy prosecutors, depositions, and pretrial conferences.
• Assist victims with restitution information, no contact orders, subpoenas, and court dates.
• Communicate with law enforcement individuals at the federal, state, and local level, the public, and victims and witnesses in criminal cases.
• Communicating with court clerks, mediators, and other court personnel.
• Ability to produce or be productive
• Positive attitude
• Ability to listen closely and follow instructions
• Ability to set priorities and meet tight deadlines
• Attention to detail
• Fluency in written and oral English and Spanish
• Conduct legal research to support legal proceedings
• Great organization, planning, follow-through, and time-management skills
• Ability to effectively communicate with clients and co-workers
• Strong Computer skills (Microsoft office, particularly excel, drive, word)
• Strong Office Machine skills (copier, scan machine)
• Professional attitude and demeanor
To be considered for this position, you MUST send BOTH a resume and cover letter describing your relevant experience and skills with your resume by email, and a legal writing sample. (This shows you can follow instructions)
Job Type: Full-time 8:30 AM to 5 PM, Monday - Friday (some maybe weekends)
Salary: $15.00 to $18.00 /hour
Benefits effective after 6 months of employment:
• Paid time off for full-time (sick and personal day)
• Paid for all firm holidays
• Paid 1 week vacation after of employment
• Potential for bonus
· Associate (Preferred)
· Paralegal or Legal Assistant: 2 year (Required)
· Criminal and/family Paralegal or Legal Assistant: 1 year (Preferred)
· Paralegal certificate (Preferred)
· Notary Public (Preferred) or willing to take the class and test
We are excited to offer this job opportunity. To apply, please send the following to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line reading "LODC LEGAL ASSISTANT FEBRUARY 2021-FAYETTEVILLE" OR "LODC LEGAL ASSISTANT FEBRUARY 2021-FUQUAY-VARINA OFFICE"
2. Detailed cover letter explaining why you feel this job might be a good fit for you, and which skills you have to apply to the task
3. Writing sample in English and Spanish (for example, please write in English and Spanish, no more than 1000 words, as to why you would like to work with helping immigrants). At the end of each writing sample, please note the word count (i.e. exact number of words) as calculated by MSWord or other software program.
4. Three references that can verify prior work experience (reference list should include contact information)